Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thinking about 2013

I can't believe it has been a year since I started growing my own food. I've learned a lot in the past year and I plan to make some changes for next year.Last year I grew too much of lots of things and too many different things (2012 plan). This year I'm going to focus on the produce I really enjoyed and try some new varieties.

I'm keeping all of my fruit (rhubarb, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and  cherries) and of course the kiwi vine. I'd like to get an apple tree so I'll have a think about where I could put one. Maybe I'll buy a dwarf tree in a massive pot until I decide.

I'll grow potatoes again, they are so easy and useful (and such fun to dig up) and I'll keep trying celeriac. Butternut squash is another definite as are tomatoes, lettuce and peas. I'll grow more herbs and I'll hope for some asparagus from my asparagus bed next year.

Turnips are out (they make that end of the garden smell like turnip and I really hated it) and I'm not going to bother with leeks, onions or garlic. Cauliflower was a waste of time, the slugs got to it so quickly I got the heebie jeebies just thinking about eating any of it.

When it stops raining I'm going to go out to the shed and get my seed tin to see what I have and I'll start planning what I will need to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...